Why is water important?
Water is essential for all living matter, so it’s no surprise that getting enough water to stay hydrated is critical. Water helps our body get rid of wastes through sweat and urine (so you don’t actually need that detox juice!). It also helps us to maintain a comfortable body temperature, lubricate our joints, and protect our nervous system. If we become dehydrated, we can experience headaches, constipation, kidney stones, or other issues.
How much water do I need?
This number is based on a few different factors, such as gender, age, weight, and activity level, to name a few. The chart below shows the Adequate Intake (AI) recommendations based on age and gender.
|Age||Liters per day|
|0 – 6 months||0.7 (about 3 cups)|
|6 months – 1 year||0.8 (about 3.5 cups)|
|1 – 3 years||1.3 (about 5.5 cups)|
|4 – 8 years||1.8 (about 7.5 cups)|
|Age, Gender||Liters per day|
|9-13 yrs, male||2.4 (about 10 cups)|
|9-13 yrs, female||2.1 (about 8.75 cups)|
|14-18 yrs, male||3.3 (about 14 cups)|
|14-18 yrs, female||2.3 (about 9.75 cups)|
|>19 yrs, male||3.7 (about 15.5 cups)|
|>19 yrs, female||2.7 (about 11.5 cups)|
If you’re an athlete, pregnant or breastfeeding, having GI struggles, or you’re just interested in a more personalized water goal, reach out to talk with one of our RD’s!
Our best tips for staying hydrated
- Make water fun with different flavors. Try adding fresh mint and cucumber slices, a basil leaf with blueberries, or one of these other infused water recipes!
- Tried the infused water and love it? Then you’ll love this infused water bottle, too! Add your fruit, veggies, and/or herbs to the infusion rod, fill the bottle, and go.
- Set alarms on your phone for hydration reminders.
- Try out one of these time-marked water bottles to help you drink your water throughout the day.
- You wouldn’t let your plants go without water, would you? Try downloading the Plant Nanny app to keep yourself hydrated and grow virtual plants.
- Can’t keep your water cold enough? Upgrade your water bottle to this insulated Yeti rambler to encourage yourself to keep sipping.
Want to learn more? Schedule a 15-minute learn more call with one of our dietitians today.